Wondering how big is New York City?
Let’s find out right here, right now!
Often called the Big Apple, New York City is a hotbed of culture, entertainment, and fashion. This glam-loaded city has everything that binds locals and attracts globetrotters to explore the fascination it holds.
Today, we have listed for you some interesting facts that boast the glory of NYC in the best form. Explore some lesser-known facts about New York City size and know why it is rated as one of the most iconic cities in the world.
How Big is New York City?
When it comes to evaluating how big a city is, there are several factors that one should keep in mind. A city could be big in terms of land covered area, population, economy, or resources.
Here are must-know details about the igness’ of New York City –
- The New York City, which is located in the southern part of New York, has been ranked 24th largest city in the United States. The city covers a total of 302.6 sq. mi.
- Five boroughs make the city of New York – Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, Bronx, and uber-popular Manhattan.
- All five boroughs are connected by several waterways, bridges, and tunnels. In terms of length and width, Manhattan is approximately 13.4 miles long and 2.3 miles wide.
- The city continues to be one of the largest cities in the States since the past two centuries.
- In terms of population, New York City is the only one of the few other largest cities in the nation to have more people living now than 50 years ago. No doubt it is one of the most populous cities in the States.
Additionally, the city is home to a large population of foreigners and non-native people. This is another reason why NYC is one of the most densely populated cities in the world.
- Another interesting fact about the location of the city is that it is situated on the world’s largest natural harbor – the New York Harbour at the Hudson River. In the late 16th Century, the native used these waterways to travel and fish.
- The New York City tops in the economy as well. While Manhattan is United State’s melting pot of finance, communication, and banking, it is also where the New York Stock Exchange is situated. Given the city has some of the nation’s largest municipal and state economy, it is widely touted as the world’s premier financial center.
- Population density and cultural diversity are some of the key factors that define New York City. If you look into the demographics of the city, you will find that it is one of the largest in terms of ethnic diversity.
- New York City has been one of the favorite destinations to migrate since ages. In fact, the term elting point’ was coined to define the influx of immigrants on the lower east side of the city.
- With as many as 800 spoken languages, New York City is one of the largest linguistically-diverse cities in the entire world.
Hope these details about the charm and size of New York City made a great read. If you are passionate to discover the true essence of NYC, plan a holiday soon and head to this happening destination today!